- Mobile computer
- Clifford is my first tablet -- a third-generation iPad. After moving to our house, my wife and I found that
we liked keeping our laptop, Beaker, behind the couch in order to easily check email, Facebook, look up actors, etc.,
while watching movies and TV. Increasingly, though, we became aware of how poor of a job a Windows laptop does
with tasks like this. Having to boot a machine up, log in, wait for software to load, getting pestered with update
reminders, and then having a large machine to either put on the coffee table or tuck away again all proved to be
counterproductive to the quick "I want to see what other movies this guy has been in" types of tasks we wanted to use it for.
- Which lead us to look into tablets, specifically the iPad. The iPad is absolutely perfect for these types of tasks.
Zero boot up time, streamlined operating system, well-designed and efficient user interfaces, and extremely low maintenance.
As a product category I hadn't yet tried first-hand, the iPad was something of a leap-of-faith purchase, it has completely eclipsed Beaker
for those quick information consumption tasks from the couch.
- This computer was originally obtained March 16, 2012.
- On March 31, 2016, this iPad was largely replaced by Concordia, an iPad Pro. At this point, Clifford shifted towards
being a tablet for my children.
- Clifford was fully retired on August 24, 2017 when it was replaced by a fifth-generation iPad, Cardea.